Create Post
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Cool The unwanted change...Old Corps vs. New Corps

The unwanted change...
    Old Corps vs. New Corps
    Submitted by: MCB Camp Butler
    Story Identification Number: 2003218184750
    Story by Cpl. Trevor M. Carlee

CAMP KINSER, Okinawa, Japan(Feb. 14, 2003) -- I walked onto those two yellow footsteps, knowing exactly what I was getting myself into. Everyone around me out in the "civilian world" doubted that I had the right intentions. But I knew what was to come, what I was going to endure, and it didn't faze me one bit.

My father, Carl, is a U.S. Marine and I say that while he is currently not enlisted in the Marine Corps. That's one thing I believe Marines in this so-called "New Marine Corps" need to understand. A Marine is something you, yourself, become. It's not a job that you go to three months of training for and it's not a basis for bigger and better things; it's a transformation.

When I was in 8th grade, I bought a computer game called SEMPER FI. I brought it with me to my dad's house, knowing he was in some kind of military service. I told him that I purchased a game called Semper F 1, thinking the "I" stood for the roman numeral of "1." His face turned white in shock that I didn't know what "Semper Fi" was and he was very quick to correct me on the phrase and the meaning of it.

"'Semper Fi' is short for Semper Fidelis, which is the Marine Corps motto, Trevor," my father explained. "It's Latin for 'Always Faithful' and it's what the Marines live and die by."

From then on out, I was fascinated with the Marine Corps. I associated the word Marine with a man who had a very clean-cut head, someone who wears their civilian clothes appropriately, someone who walks straighter than most and someone who has proper manners.

Of course, there are many more things that make a Marine but without the basics everything else doesn't matter.

I originally wanted to go into the military to serve my country, regardless, but at first I was aiming for the Air Force, with expectations of flying. When I realized that I would have to go to college and a lot more training in order to become a pilot, I figured it was too much work on the civilian side to protect my country. But I still wanted to fly. So, I turned to my father for guidance. I asked him if he would rather me join the Marine Corps or the Air Force.

He said, "As a father; I would ask you to join the Air Force because I believe it's safer. As a Marine; I would ask you to join the Marine Corps because it's the best."

That immediately turned all of my focus toward the Marine Corps. If one Marine, who has been out for that long, can still be dedicated to the Corps and believe there is no better alternative, then that's the service I want. I wanted to be part of something that had meaning and purpose. More importantly, I wanted to become someone that stood out.

So when I walk around and see how other Marines behave in this "New Marine Corps"--I get a little upset because it's not at all as I imagined. I see Marines from the "Old Marine Corps" walking around with their shirts tucked in, a clean-cut head, a posture that stands out and says "Marine" and a look on their face that says "I am proud to be a Marine." That's what I signed up for.

Then I look at the New-Corps Marines and see them with huge baggy-pants, big-draping shirts, a slump like they're back in "The Hood," or the "Hunchback of Notre Dame" and the slang and manners of someone who has never been to boot camp.

Marine Corps Boot Camp is not something to just get through; it's a stepping-stone in our lives that makes us who we are today.

I'm tired of people saying they don't want to wear their civilian attire according to regulations because it makes them stand out as targets for terrorism. That sounds like a cop-out if I've ever heard one. I highly doubt there's a sniper up in a tree looking among a scattered crowd and as he spots a sharp-looking civilian he thinks, "That guy has manners and walks upright. He must be a Marine."

I also can't stand it when I see a lance corporal talk back to a gunnery sergeant with no penalty. That's not what I signed up for. I enlisted in the Marine Corps to follow orders and, when the time comes, give orders to those of lesser rank.

There are two types of Marines; the kind that wants to be a Marine and the kind that wants to be in the Marine Corps.

The one who wants to be a Marine exemplifies the highest of standards in the Marine Corps and the one who wants to be in the Marine Corps is just here for the ride and recognition.

Those that joined to be in the Marine Corps are usually the ones who argue that "The Marine Corps can't do that" and "They can't make me do that." There is no "Marine Corps" or "They"; there are only your superiors, your peers and your subordinates. That's the way it has been for more than two centuries and that is how it should continue to be for the next two centuries.

Those that joined to be a Marine are what make this Corps continue to work and I consider my father to be in that category. I hope that I am meeting up to his standards and that my children will live up to mine.

Sempers,

Roger

Too bad that we (U & I) cannot be cloned at least a 170K times. I too am saddened that some folks just can't/don't get it. S/F

Steve

Damn OUTSTANDING POST....and true as true can be !!! I ain't sayin this to **** anybody off, but the Marine Corps that I KNEW is dead as a doornail !! If you don't believe me and your old Corps, just read the "New" Band of Brothers Creed !! It is not even remotely close to the Corps I was in. I don't have it in front of me, but I think the one line in it that stands out more than anything else is the part that says...."All Marines are entitled to Job Satisfaction"......ROTFLMMFAO !!!!!

Registered User Free Member albert torcini's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    HEY GUYS,
    MY CORPS,YOUR CORPS,THE MARINE CORPS,WERE ALL THE SAME.
    THE WORD CAN'T IF YOU CONSIDER IT A WORD WAS NOT IN OUR VOCABULARY,AND THE WORD WON'T SENT YOU TO MOTOVATION
    WHERE YOU GET 3 SQUARE MEALS A DAY AND I MEAN SQUARE.
    THATS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN US AND THEM.THATS WHY OLD MARINES NEVER DIE.

SEMPER FI, AL T

Welcome Home Bro !! Don't think I ever met ya here before !!

Registered User Free Member JChristin's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    The Old Corps dead?

NOT AS LONG AS THERE IS BREATH IN MY BODY!

What are you all thinking?

The new ones (new corps) will figer it all out. It may take a bit of time, but they'll get with the program. Or we can kick some a ss!

semper fi
    jchristin

Cool OLD CORPS NOT FORGOTTEN.......

We started with the M1 and than came the M14 both good weapons with great stopping power and long accurate range.
    DI's had a free hand in the training of recruits........Now of this hands off policy.........
    SSgt's ran the Marine Corps and being a Sgt and Cpl really meant something.
    Rank was earned and not given on a Silver Plater..........
    You followed your Leaders out of Respect not Fear.......
    Officers looked to their SSgts for guidance..........
    NCO's were the right hand of SSgts........
    You shaped up or shipped out.......
    You were a Marine 24/7 and were proud to show it..........

Sempers,

Roger

Registered User Free Member albert torcini's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    THIS CONVERSATION IS GREAT ABOUT THE NEW CORPS AND THE OLD CORPS.I WONDER WHAT THE MARINES FROM WWII AND KOREA THOUGHT OF US.DON'T FORGET WE WERE THE NEW GUYS TO THEM.WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND.
    TELL YOU THE TRUTH I FELL WE STOOD UP BETTER IN THEIR EYES.
    THATS BECAUSE WE HAD AND STILL HAVE MORE RESPECT FOR THINGS THAN THESE KIDS DO.
    I HAVEN'T HAD A CONVERSATION LIKE THIS IN YEARS.
    IT MAKES ME FEEL REALLY GOOD TO CHAT WITH JAR HEADS IN MY TIME.I'AM READY TO SADDLE UP AGAIN.I'LL TEACH THESE NEW MARINES TO WALK WITH TWO FEET IN ONE BOOT.

SEMPER FI, AL T

firstsgtmike
    Guest Free Member
    Drifter,

I'm a M-1 Marine. Is that the defining line between "Old Corps" and "New Corps"?

What were we carrying on Iwo?

What were we carrying when we earned the title "Devil Dogs?"

And the first kid, who goes down supporting his brothers in Iraq, is he any less than..............

I'm gone. I'm out of it. I welcomed my replacements 20+ years ago. I now welcome my replacement's replacements.

I welcome them, with the same admonishm I received when I enlisted. "You're MY replacement. Don't you EVER let me down.".

and Thank God, I don't think I ever did.

Remember the "500 Year Corps"? We still have a long way to go. I believe most of our Marines are serving right and will continue to do so.
    Semper Fidelis!

Registered User Free Member usmc2cwgrl's Avatar
    ooooooooooklahoma where the wind comes sweepin down the plains
    Credits
    Savings

Talking

hey guys

i would defintely have to agree with that post. i got out of the Corps in 2001 so i was considered by some part of the " new Corps" and there were alot of guys that did not show any respect to anyone and acted as though they didn't want to even be there. so i'd always ask em why the heck they even came in if they didn't want to be there? their answer was...i thought it'd be better than this...hey its how ya make it. i loved it and made some great friends and did some awesome things thanks to the "old Corps" we are still able to join the Marines and still have a country to fight for! Thanks guys!!!and gals!!

Registered User Free Member usmc2cwgrl's Avatar
    ooooooooooklahoma where the wind comes sweepin down the plains
    Credits
    Savings
    oops i meant to say article in that first sentence instead of post...heh sowwy

Thumbs up

I must commend the author of this article but life will always be the same.
    There will always be that 10% in the Marine Corps, we had them while we were active and their like is still here in 2003.
    Much of this dissatifaction comes from a recruit being promise a "particular MOS" but the Marine Corps is only able to deliver a block of MOS's in that field.
    So the recruit becomes dissatified and that carries over to their time in the Corps
    The best thing for all, is for them to take their discharge.
    Many want into those high end MOS's; computers, the Air Wing related MOS's.
    So that they can take these with them when they leave the Corps
    Many will do that after one enlistment.
    In my case, I wanted an 0300 MOS and I got that, than I volunteered for Recon, did that twice not once.
    So I never knew dissatifaction, I was promoted to my rank of Staff Sergeant.
    After Vietnam and ten years in the Corps, I wanted a family.
    But at that time, pay would make that difficult.
    So I decided it was time to go.
    I than took a welding apprenticeship, graduated and worked that field for over 30 some odd years.
    I also held several positions of leadership in the company that I worked for.
    After Vietnam and my time in the Marine Corps, those positions were a piece of cake.
    My advice to this young Marine would be; keep your motivation and try to instill that in your subordinates.
    I also differ with "All Marines are entitled to Job Satisfaction"
    That statement is the main reason why there is so much dissatifaction now, it comes with the word "me" not with the word "Us or We" as We're working as a team.
    I've been to several Marine Corps bases in the past four years, and many of the young Marines that I met impress me with their military bearing and appearance.
    Were they the norm?
    I pray that they were.

Semper Fidelis
    Ricardo

I'll grant you this, a Marine will always be a Marine. But, there is something missing from the Marines of today. What is it? I'm not sure. Is it the softness that has woven it's way into our beloved Corps? No more singing cadences with profanity (God Forbid). The touchy feely Crucible. We were Marines on Graduation Day not before and then only after we were dismissed from formation. Did we not accomplish the same teamwork when we were in? I hated being thrashed in the pits but as a platoon we were always together. I also don't buy into the it's for our protection approach as to how a Marine looks while on his 72. A Marine shall always carry himself with honor, integrity and respect not like the hood rat who has no idea what any of those words could even faintly mean. We have to remember that people will be offended by the mere notion that it is our job and mission to make other people die for their countries. Do not let that offensiveness drive what is inherently true to our Corps. We are WARRIORS and we will be called upon to do things that our leaders deem necessary and we will complete our mission by whatever means are necessary without disgracing ourselves and our Corps.

I really don't remember all that he told me, but my Dad was in the Corps from 1928 to 1932. There was no "major" war then, but he did have to go to "Nicarauga" or somewhere like that...but I do remember him telling me about Parris Island and other places he was.....anyway, sure sounded like it was a whole different ballgame then....Hell, I got pictures of him at Parris Island....I don't know when they stopped issuing them, but in 1928 all Marines in Boot Camp wore Campaign Covers, bell bottomed dungarees and khaki shirts.....Anyway, like the other bro was saying...I bet the WWII and earlier Marines had it a hell of alot harder than us 60's Marines. And the other point was a good un made by somebody....Like Rat said.....theres too much "me" instead of "us" in the Corps......quick lil story......
    Last November myself and some other Nam bro's was in DC.....we were milling around over at the Iwo Jima statue, when all of a sudden here comes a Marine across that field in front of it with his girlfriend . He was wearing a T shirt, dress blue trousers and military issue black shoes. Unbelievable....one of the bro's I was with jumped his sh!t about it !! He couldn't o cared less !!! It was on a Sunday, so I reckon nobody in rank above him gave a sh!t and neither did he........

Thread Information